These cupcakes are a crowd pleaser and also very tasty too! We just love crème eggs so had to make crème egg cupcakes, these ones are inspired by crème eggs. You can hide a mini crème egg inside the cupcake if you want to as well! We did half with a crème egg in the middle and half without! We are also lucky enough to have duo icing bags (from Lakeland) so were able to do duo icing of white and orange. If you don’t have a piping bag then you could just swirl the orange food colouring into the buttercream.
Have fun making these and enjoy surprising your guests with the hidden middle!
100g self raising flour
20g cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
250g icing sugar
25ml whole milk
Orange food colouring
½ bar dark chocolate
Bag of mini crème eggs
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and put cupcake cases in a tray
2) In a free standing mixer beat together the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy looking
3) Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and add the eggs and baking powder, mix until combined but do not over mix
4) Spoon the mixture into the cases, do not be tempted to over fill, ans cook for 15-20 minutes
5) To make the icing beat all the ingredients together with a free hand mixer or in your free standing mixer. The longer you beat the fluffier the icing.
6) Put half of the icing in one side of the piping bag
7) Add orange food colouring to the rest of the icing and mix well. Then put the icing in the other side of the bag
8) Pipe the icing generously onto the cupcakes
9) Melt the dark chocolate and then drizzle over the top of the cupcakes